This 3-Ingredient Celery Smoothie is massively simple while showing off the natural aromatic essence of the celery. Use it for your detox or cleanse or as a base for a brunch cocktail!
Intro to the 3-Ingredient Celery Smoothie
My usual go-to morning smoothie contains some 10 ingredients, and while it’s really flavorful and nutritious, I sometimes don’t have time to wash and chop all those ingredients, first thing in the morning. So I wanted to develop a simple celery smoothie that I could make for a minimum effective dose of morning veggies.
This smoothie consists of just celery, dill, lemon juice, and water. I find that the dill and lemon go perfectly with the flavor of the celery. The end product is a refreshing drink with grassy, floral, and tart notes. The flavor is unmistakably celery, but it’s not overpowering.
The Rise of Celery
Celery was amusingly mocked in a Portlandia sketch as the most underperforming vegetable, not keeping up with the viral veggies like kale, brussels sprouts, and heirloom tomatoes.
This year, though, celery has been having a moment, with lots of attention given to its health benefits, which include anti-inflammatory properties, fiber, and vitamins.
We don’t often think about using celery on its own, preferring to add it to other dishes, but it can be pretty tasty in the right context. With this smoothie, you don’t have to worry about the stringy texture, and the flavor is milder because of the other ingredients.
How to make the 3-Ingredient Celery Smoothie
Wash and chop the celery and dill, slice and squeeze the lemon, and blend everything with water. That’s it.
I have been using a Vitamix blender similar to this one and it’s great, though it’s probably fancier than I need. I’m curious – what blender do you use for your green smoothies, and how do you like it? Let me know in the comments!
Making Celery Cocktails
I tasted this smoothie and thought it would make a great brunch cocktail, mixed with vodka. I like a good bloody mary and this has some of the same vegetal notes – though it’s much more low-key.
I’d try one part vodka to three parts smoothie, served on ice and garnished with a slice of lemon and a sprig of dill.
More Energizing and Simple Smoothies
- 3-Ingredient Lettuce Smoothie – as easy as this one, focused on romaine lettuce (coming soon)
- Beet-Grapefruit Smoothie – beet and grapefruit are an unlikely perfect pair
- Easy Jackfruit Smoothie – sweet, tangy, and creamy, like pineapple+banana but simpler
- Coconut Avocado Smoothie – actually a chilled soup, but it’s perfect as a smoothie too
Solid Plant-Based Refreshment
- Asian Pear Salad – crunchy, juicy pears with cucumber, greens and a tangy vinaigrette
- Arugula and Watermelon Salad – fantastic bitter-sweet flavor contrasts in this one
- Vegan Zaru Soba – chilled buckwheat noodles with a savory dipping broth
- Vegan Pasta Primavera – pasta in a light cream sauce with six(!) kinds of green veggies
As always, if you try this recipe out, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it @gastroplant on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
3-Ingredient Celery Smoothie
- 3 ribs celery chopped (about 2.5 cups, 200 grams, or 7 ounces)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill chopped (can include stems)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Maple syrup or other sweetener to taste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Serve or store immediately.
Love your recipes. Eager to try the celery smoothie. My dream machine is wonderful Blendtec. Absolutely love it. So versatile. Love to use it to make crafty nut butters and other diy stuff
Thanks! Let me know how it goes if you try the smoothie. I really like having a high-speed blender too – I have been using mine to make easy soups now that it’s cold. And Blendtec blenders are supposed to be great. They used to have advertisements where they blended an iPhone into dust(!). Crazy powerful. I like the idea of homemade nut butter. I haven’t tried yet but I want to. Do you have any favorite nut butter recipes?
Mary craig says
Does I t have to be fresh dill I do not have any
Thank you for your smoothie recipes! They are thyroid friendly that I can use.