Perfect air fryer roasted potatoes make a great hearty side dish at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They’re crispy and tender, dusted with herbs, and extremely easy to make.
A simple and versatile companion
I was making a tofu scramble for brunch a couple weekends ago and wanted something starchy to accompany it. Roasted potatoes seemed like the right choice because they’re filling and tasty. They are good in a dipping sauce or together with the scramble. And with the air fryer, the cooking process is pretty hands-off. The potatoes came out so well that I had to recreate them here for you to enjoy.
If you appreciate simple, yet perfectly cooked food, you’ll love these. The potatoes are blistered and slightly crispy on the outside, creamy and almost sweet on the inside. The herbs – rosemary, oregano, and thyme – are added halfway through cooking so that they don’t get scorched. You’ll notice that salt is optional – the potatoes taste great by themselves and may not need salt depending on your taste. And they don’t need much oil. Just enough of a spray so that the herbs will stick.
I served them with our brunch, but they can really go with anything savory. Pair them with a salad. Toss them in your Buddha bowl. Have them for a snack with some curry ketchup.
In the recipe, the oil and herbs are added in the final 5 minutes of cooking. The oil helps the seasoning stick to the potatoes and helps the potatoes crisp up a bit. Adding the oil and seasoning later will prevent the oil from smoking and the herbs from getting scorched. Salt can also be added at this point.
The recipe uses an air fryer. You can also make these in the oven, but I haven’t experimented with that, so I can’t advise cooking temperatures or times right now. If you’re interested in an oven-based one, let me know in the comments and I’ll develop one.
Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs potatoes baby, fingerling, or other; rinsed dried and cut into bite-size pieces
- oil spray olive, avocado, or other
- 1/8 tsp rosemary fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme fresh or dried
- salt to taste, optional
- Preheat air fryer to 390 F (or max, if lower than 390) for 4 minutes
- Add potatoes to air fryer basket. Air fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Pull basket out of air fryer and remove basket from the holder (if possible). Spray a thin coat of oil onto the potatoes while shaking the basket, to coat as evenly as possible. Sprinkle herb mix and salt (if using) onto potatoes, again shaking to coat evenly.
- Return the basket to the air fryer. Air fry for another 4-5 minutes until the edges of the potatoes are crispy and the pieces are cooked through.
- Serve immediately.