Vegan Creamed Corn is a creamy and comforting side dish. It has a cheesy full-flavor vibe and can be ready in 15 minutes.
Intro to Vegan Creamed Corn
Something about the cold New York winter has me craving comfort food nonstop. I usually consider myself an adventurous eater, but this time of year, simple classics such as creamed corn put me at ease.
I wanted to create a creamy base that was slightly sweet, with a rich mouthfeel. I’m happy with how this turned out, especially with such little effort. I hope you enjoy it as well!
Why this Vegan Creamed Corn is Delicious
Vegan Food Hacks
I used a few of my usual vegan food hacks to give the sauce a full, cheesy-tasting umami flavor. Nutritional yeast and miso work together to create a really savory taste that activates lots of taste buds (and provide some probiotics and a vitamin B12 boost!).
Sweet yet Sophisticated
I did add a little bit of sugar to this (though it’s totally optional), but there are layers of flavor beyond the sweetness. The bay leaf and garlic powder give it it a little bit of pungent depth that contrasts nicely with the sweet creamy overtones.
It’s Quick and Convenient
With a cooking time of just 15 minutes, this is a dish I’ll frequently come back to. It’s easy to keep some corn kernels in the freezer, and the rest of the ingredients are usually in my pantry anyway.
If you want the sauce to be extra smooth, you can blend the cashew butter with the plant milk before heating them in the skillet.
You can use whole cashews instead of cashew butter. You should double the volume in this case, since cashew butter is much denser.
If you have some creamed corn left over, it would go great in a vegan shepherd’s pie.
Some more quick veggie sides
- 3-Ingredient Sauteed Kale – kale sauteed with herbs until just tender
- Roasted Oyster Mushrooms – crispy edges, juicy centers, and big mushroom flavor
- 15-Minute Chickpea Curry w Kale – features a creamy, fragrant gravy
- 3-Ingredient Sauteed Squash – brings out the natural sweetness of the squash
- Air Fryer Tomatoes – intensely concentrated tomato flavor, yet still juicy
- 3-Ingredient Creamed Spinach – super easy and satisfying
As always, if you try this recipe out, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it @gastroplant on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
Vegan Creamed Corn
- 1 pound frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup raw cashews see note for substituting cashew butter
- 2 cups unsweetened unflavored plant milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons miso
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chives to garnish optional
- Blend the plant milk and cashews (preferably soaked, see note) in a high-speed blender until smooth, about 40 seconds.
- Combine the plant milk cashew mixture, bay leaf, and garlic powder in a large nonstick skillet or medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring and scraping to prevent clumps.
- Simmer until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, up to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the miso, nutritional yeast, and sugar (if using) until the mixture has an even consistency.
- Add the corn and stir to coat well. Continue cooking until the corn is heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.